Paul B. Burkhalter
- Morgan & Weisbrod LLP
- 11551 Forest Central Drive Suite 300 Dallas, TX 75243
- Download vCard
Morgan & Weisbrod LLP, Senior Partner/Managing Partner
Dallas, Texas 1993 – Present. I have represented thousands of individuals with Social Security disability claims before Social Security Administration Judges at hearings, and at all other levels of appeal, including the federal courts. I also represent Veterans seeking VA benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. I appear at hearings before Decisional Review Officers at the VA Regional Offices and also before Veterans Law Judges at the Board of Veterans Appeals. My duties at Morgan & Weisbrod also involve managing staff and supervising associate attorneys. Opened branch offices in Houston and Georgetown, Texas.
Special Assistant United States Attorney/Office of the General Counsel/U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Dallas, Texas 1992 – 1993. I represented the Social Security Administration in cases before the Federal District Courts throughout Texas and Louisiana defending the decisions of Administrative Law Judges. I reviewed judge decisions and made recommendations regarding whether those decisions should be defended in district court. I research and wrote district court briefs and reply briefs in these case and prepared memos to the Appeals Council seeking remands of indefensible judge decisions (where ALJs failed to follow judicial procedures).
Years Of Experience:
- Over 27 Years
Legal License and Certifications:
- State Bar of Texas – Bar # 00783759 Licensed November 6, 1992 to present.
- Board Certified in Social Security Disability Advocacy by the National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy (A Division of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification) – July 9, 2009 (Original Certification)
- Federal Courts Admitted to: United States Supreme Court, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, Northern District of Texas, Eastern District of Texas, Southern District of Texas, Western District of Texas
- New York University School of Law, New York City, New York
- Juris Doctorate 1992 ( Top 10 Law School – US News & World Report)
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- Bachelors of Arts: Political Science “with Honors” 1988
Professional Organizations and Honors:
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives – 1993 to current
- Board of Directors (representing all members from the 5th Circuit) 2006 to 2012
- Houston Bar Association – Chairman of Social Security Section 2005-2006
- Dallas Association of Social Security Claimants Attorneys – 1993-1997
- President, Treasurer, Secretary
- Frequent speaker on legal ethics at national, regional and local continuing legal education programs.
- Authored test examination questions for the NBLSC Social Security Disability Advocacy nation-wide examination.
- H-Texas Magazine – Houston’s Top Lawyers & Top Lawyers for the People lists 2005-2014
- Martindale- Hubbell: Peer Rating 5/5.0 – AV®Preeminent
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2012
- Attending Dallas Fellowship church
- Co-Leader (PTA President), Meridian School (International Baccalaureate school), Roundrock, Texas 2011-2012
- Board of Directors, Community Montessori School, Georgetown, Texas 2008-2011
- Sponsor, Explorer Post (First Presbyterian Church) (worked with primarily first generation immigrant youth preparing them for post-high school life), Dallas, Texas 1995-1997
- Travel throughout Mexico. Travel to Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Europe and Middle East.
- Other work experience: New York City bike messenger, preschool teacher, photojournalist, kitchen worker, test prep teacher, Census enumerator, newspaper delivery