- Morgan & Weisbrod LLP
- 11551 Forest Central Drive Suite 300 Dallas, TX 75243
- Download vCard
John Driskill, Partner
I have been with Morgan & Weisbrod, LLP, since 1998. I am Board Certified in Social Security Disability law by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.
I was born in a small town in Missouri, but moved to Texas as soon as I could! After finishing graduate school at Baylor I began working in investment banking in Houston and Dallas, Texas. It was exciting and the travel was fun, but other things began to take on a more important role in my life. I went to law school in Houston and, at the urging of my older brother (an attorney in Kansas City, Missouri), began handling Social Security disability cases in 1993.
Representing individuals in Social Security disability matters has been a great fit for many reasons. I especially enjoy getting to meet and work with people from all walks of life when they need help the most. Being able to make a positive impact in someone’s life is something I will never take for granted.
Outside the office I enjoy spending time with my family, playing sports, and following college sports. My wife and I are also active in our church, having served as teachers, taken part in multiple Christmas pageants, and many other activities.
Years Of Experience:
- Over 27 Years
I have represented thousands of claimants for Social Security disability benefits at all administrative levels and in federal court. Other areas of legal experience include personal injury, probate, and estate planning.
Prior to becoming an attorney, I worked in investment banking (municipal finance) advising numerous public issuers including Harris County, Harris County Toll Road Authority, Houston Independent School District, state and regional authorities, cities, hospitals, and utility districts.
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri (B.S.B.A., 1983)
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas (M.B.A., 1984)
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas (J.D., 1992)
Professional Honors & Activities:
- NOSSCR (National Organization of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives) Board of Directors, 2012-2015, Treasurer 2016-2017
- Named one of Houston’s “Top Lawyers for the People”, as published in H Magazine (2006-present).
Presentations & Speeches:
- “SSA Disability Enrollment Process,” Houston CPA Society Medicare Workshop Conference, Houston, Texas, August 20, 2015.
- “What Makes a Disability Claim,” National Board of Trial Advocacy New Causes of Action Conference, Houston, Texas, February 6, 2015.
- “Social Security Disability Enrollment Process,” Houston CPA Society Tax Expo Conference, Houston, Texas, January 6, 2015.
- “Proving Intellectual Disability for Listing 12.05C,” FOSSCR Annual Conference, Miami, Florida, February 14, 2013.
- “Developing Evidence of Adaptive Functioning in Intellectual Disability Cases, NOSSCR National Convention, Philadelphia, PA, May 4, 2012.
- “Handling a Social Security Disability Case in Texas,” National Business Institute, Houston, Texas, October 20, 2010.
- “Handling a Social Security Disability Case in Texas,” National Business Institute, Houston, Texas, August 25, 2006.
- “Handling a Social Security Disability Case in Texas,” National Business Institute, Houston, Texas, April 11, 2005.
- “Practical Tips for Handling Social Disability Cases at the Hearing Level,” Social Security Section of the Houston Bar Association, October 26, 2000.
- “Practical Aspects of Handling a Social Security Disability Case from Start to Finish” Social Security Section of the Houston Bar Association, October 15, 1999.
- “Introduction to Social Security Disability Law and Practice,” Texas Elder Law Conference, Austin, Texas, November 6, 1997.
- Texas 1992
- Missouri 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas (1993)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas (2010)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2013)
- Houston Bar Association (served on several committees)
- Social Security Section of the Houston Bar Association (holding numerous leadership positions, including
- Chairman 2011-2012, 2003-2004; Treasurer 2009-2010; Chairman-elect 2010-2011).
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (NOSSCR, Sustaining Member since 1998; Board of Directors 2012-2015)
- Fifth Circuit Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives (FOSSCR)
- Organized/Hosted the FOSSCR Spring 2016 Conference