Click Here For Client Portal

As part of your claim for veterans’ disability benefits you likely will need to submit copies of both your medical and military service records. To succeed on a claim, applicants must demonstrate a relationship between an injury suffered during military service and an ongoing disability. Obtaining these records can feel confusing for those who have never done so in the past. Fortunately, a Houston veterans’ disability attorney can assist you through this process.

It is important to note that obtaining medical and military service records is not one in the same. Medical facility records and military service records are actually stored in different places. The following is an overview of helpful tips for obtaining the records that you need to bring forth a successful disability claim:

  • To obtain copies of military records, write to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri.
  • File a form SF180 in order to obtain records.
  • Obtain a form SF180 form your local VA office, either by visiting the office in person or calling and requesting that a form be mailed to you.
  • In your letter to the National Personnel Records Center, state the period of time that you were hospitalized, where you were treated, and request copies of the treating facility’s records.
  • Write to any doctor or treating facility where you received medical treatment for your disability following your military service.

Obtaining these records is a vital aspect of preparing your claim for benefits. For more helpful tips about veterans’ disability benefits, like our Facebook page today. The attorneys at Morgan Weisbrod are extensively experienced and knowledgeable about this complex area of the law.

Morgan Weisbrod  LLP

by Paul B. Burkhalter
Managing Partner of Morgan Weisbrod , Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law.


© 2024 Morgan Weisbrod, All Rights Reserved, Reproduced with Permission Privacy Policy | Site Map

Skip to content