Waiting is often the most difficult part of the process when it comes to seeking Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits in Dallas. Unfortunately for those who are disabled and need this type of assistance, the period of time that it takes to obtain approval can be very lengthy. While waiting, applicants should consider taking the following actions:
- Develop an understanding of the realistic timetable for obtaining Social Security disability benefits, including likely times for filing an appeal.
- Avoid incurring any unnecessary new debts or obligations.
- Consider restructuring existing financial debts.
- Research other options for financial assistance while you wait for a Social Security disability benefits decision.
- Continuously check the status of your disability application, as doing so can actually help to speed up the process.
- Pay close attention to notices sent from the Social Security Administration.
- Before considering any type of part-time or other employment while you wait for your claim, consult with a knowledgeable attorney. Working could have a detrimental impact on your claim, and is typically not recommended.
- Consider Medicaid, free clinics, hospital emergency rooms, and a public and private prescription medication assistance program for obtaining medical care and access to treatment while your claim is pending.
To learn more about the process of obtaining Social Security disability benefits in Texas, we encourage you to view our free guide, Social Security Disability: What You Need to Know. Or follow us on Facebook, where we frequently provide links to helpful information and share posts with informative tips.
by Paul B. Burkhalter Managing Partner of Morgan & Weisbrod, Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law.