Click Here For Client Portal

If your adult child (over age 18) will claim disability based on an impairment that originated in childhood, the Social Security Administration will want proof of the existence of the impairment even if your child was not eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits when under 18.

You may not think it important at the moment, but you should preserve your child’s school records. Not transcripts—but special education records. People would be surprised that schools destroy the so called “permanent record” they were threatened with as a child. A records request beyond seven years will usually only get the transcript of grades.

If your child is receiving any type of assistance due to mental retardation, learning disorder, autism, or a physical impairment, keep all records associated with the school’s decision. This would include the papers you receive at the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) meeting, including the Individual Education Plan (IEP). If the school performed any testing (literacy, IQ, or psychological), I recommend asking for a copy. Even if your child takes a modified standardized test, keep a copy of the results for your records.

For experienced representation in your disabled adult child’s Social Security disability claim, contact the Board Certified attorneys at Morgan & Weisbrod.

Comments are closed.

Morgan & Weisbrod LLP

by Paul B. Burkhalter
Managing Partner of Morgan & Weisbrod, Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law.


© 2024 Morgan & Weisbrod LLP, All Rights Reserved, Reproduced with Permission Privacy Policy | Site Map  | Legal Marketing

Skip to content