More Than 50% Of People With Disabilities Are Abused
An important report compiled by the Abuse & Disability Project of Los Angeles, California, reveals that abuse of people with disabilities is both overwhelmingly prevalent and largely ignored.
The types of abuse described included:
- 87.7% emotional and verbal abuse
- 50.6% physical abuse
- 41.6% sexual abuse
- 37.3% neglect
- 31.5% financial abuse
Other findings revealed:
- Over 70% of people with disabilities report abuse.
- Over 60% of immediate family members report abuse of loved ones with disability.
- 90% of abuse victims report that abuse happened more than once, with more than half saying it had happened “too many times… to count.”
- Less than 40% of abuse victims report incidents to the authorities.
- Less than half of reported incidents ever see a response.
Victims reporting more than ten instances of abuse came from all over the disability spectrum, such as mental health disability (59.9%) or mobility (45.7%).
“Abuse of people with disabilities is a hidden epidemic with a huge number of invisible victims,” said Jim Stream, a co-author of the study.
If you need to know more about the Social Security disability benefits in Texas, call Morgan & Weisbrod at 877-898-1581today. Be sure to ask for our free book, Social Security Disability: What You Need to Know.