Unless you have a special circumstance, such as needing a military discharge upgrade or knowing from the outset that it will be extremely difficult to establish your disabilities as service-connected, it’s likely that hiring a Dallas disability attorney for your initial VA disability benefits application won’t be necessary.
Things get more complicated when the VA sends you a denial of compensation, an insufficient disability rating score, or notifies you of a benefits reduction. Before you take any action to contest the denial, rating or reduction, understand that the VA appeals process can even confound military personnel who specialize in the law. That’s because VA rules and regulations are:
- Complicated: In order to understand one regulation, there are several others you must have a strong understanding of first.
- Difficult to navigate: Counterintuitive is an understatement. Many veterans have felt at one point or another as though the entire system has been designed against them.
- Frequently changed: Even if you only left the military a few months ago, it’s more likely than not that something has changed that will directly impact your claim. Veterans who’ve been in the system for a few years, on the other hand, might sometimes feel like they’ve been thrust into an alien landscape.
It’s true that no disability attorney can speed up the VA’s decision process on your appeal. Chances are you will be waiting on each decision for quite some time no matter what you do. However, there are a lot of things that hiring a Houston VA benefits lawyer can do for your VA disability benefits claim, such as:
- Advocate for your best interests.
- Provide up-to-date knowledge of the VA disability benefits system.
- Explain what happens and what needs to be done at every step in clear, easy to understand language.
- Work with you to gather the evidence you need to substantiate your claims.
- Help you get the highest possible rating for your disabilities.
- Navigate the appeal process from the initial Notice of Disagreement letter all the way to the Court of Appeals for Veterans’ Claims if necessary.
The experienced legal team of Morgan & Weisbrod has served many Texas veterans in their time of need. To schedule a free consultation, call our offices at 877-898-1581or fill out the contact form below.