Few circumstances in life are as stressful as suffering a disability and being unable to support yourself financially as a result. Fortunately, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) can provide much-needed assistance during these times, but benefits do not start the day that you become disabled.
Instead, there is a waiting period for receiving benefits. Potential recipients of benefits must wait until the Social Security Administration approves their application. While waiting for an application to be approved, you may need to consider other options for financial assistance.
Financial Aid Options While Waiting for SSDI Benefits
If you need financial help while you are waiting for Social Security disability benefits, you can:
- Use any emergency savings that you have in the bank.
- Sell some of your assets.
- Contact your local Department of Social Services to see if there is help available. An adult services social worker may be able to provide you with information about assistance programs.
- Determine whether you qualify for public assistance benefits, such as welfare or food assistance.
- Consult with a mortgage broker or bank about refinancing your home. Refinancing may allow you to lower your monthly mortgage payment, which will reduce your overall expenses as you wait for your disability benefits.
- Consult with other lenders about refinancing your other debts, such as car loans, personal loans, or business loans.
- Meet with your mortgage lender about obtaining a home equity line of credit. This type of a loan could provide you with cash to support you financially while your disability claim is pending.
- Consider taking out a personal loan to provide temporary financial assistance.
- Seek assistance from family or friends.
There are pros and cons to each of these options which should be considered.
Don’t Ignore Your Social Security Disability Claim While You Wait
Whatever options you choose, obtaining the help of an experienced attorney can help you through the disability claims process. To learn more about Social Security disability benefits, follow us on Facebook, where we frequently provide links to helpful information and share posts with informative tips. We also encourage you to share our page with your friends and family.