As a veteran suffering from a disability, you may be eligible to receive veterans’ disability benefits. Unfortunately, the process for obtaining benefits is not as easy as it should be for the men and women who selflessly served our county by serving in the armed forces. Decisions on these claims can take many months to be handed down. Even when the decision is made, the disability rating and payment may be far lower than what is fair. Further, a mistake could have been made.
The Department of Veterans’ Affairs admits to making mistakes in approximately 16% of the claims that they assess. Fortunately, there are certain steps that can be taken to improve the likelihood of obtaining a favorable decision in a more timely manner than would otherwise occur.
Tips to Improve Your Claim
- Seek assistance from an experienced veterans’ disability attorney in Houston to improve the strength of your claim.
- Provide as much detail and evidence as possible in order to make your disability claim easy to prove.
- Keep copies of anything that is provided to the VA so that it can easily be replaced if anything gets lost.
- Hand deliver documents whenever possible.
- If medical records are not provided, include information in the claim that clearly states where this information can be found.
- If you are using a private medical provider, provide the medical records if possible.
- Attend any exam ordered by the VA in order to increase the likelihood that you receive the correct rating and your claim is approved.
- Submit a Disability Benefits Questionnaire to speed up the process of receiving an answer on your claim.
While observing these tips may help to speed up your claim, the process is still far from perfect. It is often lengthy and confusing for those unfamiliar with navigating the world of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. To learn more helpful tips for obtaining veterans’ disability benefits in Houston, follow us on Facebook.