Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 877-898-1581
Phone: 214-373-3761
Call Us! 877-898-1581

Can I Get VA Disability Benefits if I Was Dishonorably Discharged?



You are eligible for veterans’ disability benefits if you received an honorable discharge or a general discharge from the military.


You are not eligible for veterans’ disability benefits if you received a dishonorable discharge from the military. A dishonorable discharge is only handed down to those who have been court-martialed for a serious offense, such as desertion or assault. It is possible to appeal your dishonorable discharge and perhaps get it upgraded to a different type of administrative discharge – even a few years after your military service ends.


You may be eligible for veterans’ disability benefits if you received a bad conduct discharge (BCD) or an other than honorable discharge (OTH). In these two cases, you may wish to speak to a Texas veterans’ disability attorney about your case. While some former service members have successfully fought for VA disability benefits despite an OTH discharge, others have been denied. Your case may depend on the reason for your type of discharge and whether it was related to your physical and mental health issues at the time.


To speak with a Dallas disability lawyer about your VA disability claim denial, or to get your questions answered about your administrative discharge and its effects on your disability benefits, call Morgan & Weisbrod today.

Carl M. Weisbrod
Connect with me
Managing Partner of Morgan & Weisbrod, Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law