What Mexican Citizens Need to Know About U.S. Social Security Disability

You are in the United States legally. You are a permanent resident of this country, and you paid taxes into the Social Security system. When you became disabled and unable to work, you learned that you had worked long enough to qualify for Social Security disability benefits. These benefits are important to you. Not only have you earned them, but you need the money to help make ends meet during this difficult time.

And You Want to Go Home

Your doctors have told you that you have a limited amount of time left to live or that the rest of your live will be lived with a significant disability. While your life was here in the U.S., you are still a citizen of Mexico. Your family is there, and you want to spend time with them while you still can. You want to return to the country where you were born, but you can’t give up the Social Security disability benefits that you are depending on now.

You Don’t Have to Choose

You may continue to receive Social Security disability benefits when you are traveling. However, the law may require you to return to the United States at least once every 30 days or for 30 consecutive days within a six- month period.

If you have any questions about your residence and your Social Security eligibility, we urge you to take action before the Social Security Administration notifies you that there is a potential problem. Ask questions and get the help that you need to make sure that you are getting the benefits that you deserve. Please browse our related links, or contact us directly for more information.


Carl M. Weisbrod
Connect with me
Managing Partner of Morgan & Weisbrod, Board Certified in Social Security Disability Law
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment